For what is usually a quiet month for publications, January saw 13 new publications from the Latrobe SEMRC team.1-13 Of huge interest is the open access Diabetic Foot Australia guideline on footwear for people with diabetes. The aim of the guideline was to update the previous Australian guideline on footwear for people with diabetes and will help those professions working closely with people affected by diabetes. Some key recommendations from the guideline include:
- Advise people with diabetes to wear footwear that fits, protects and accommodates the shape of their feet.
- Advise people with diabetes to always wear socks within their footwear, in order to reduce shear and friction.
- Educate people with diabetes, their relatives and caregivers on the importance of wearing appropriate footwear to prevent foot ulceration.
To read more on other recommendations and gain full access to the guideline click here.
Further publications by the LaTrobe SEMRC team focused on running retraining, pelvic and hip kinematics in knee arthritis, clinical outcomes and return to sport rates following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR), performance predicators in mountain bikers, exercise interventions for multidirectional instability of the shoulder, interventions for cancer-related fatigue.
Looking forward to what February brings.
- Barton CJ. Managing RISK when treating the injured runner with running retraining, load management and exercise therapy. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2018;29:79-83.
- Crossley KM, Schache AG, Ozturk H, Lentzos J, Munanto M, Pandy MG. Pelvic and Hip Kinematics During Walking in People With Patellofemoral Joint Osteoarthritis Compared to Healthy Age-Matched Controls. Arthritis Care and Research. 2018;70(2):309-314.
- Gerrard JM, Bonanno DR. Increasing preferred step rate during running reduces plantar pressures. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports. 2018;28(1):144-151.
- Lai CCH, Ardern CL, Feller JA, Webster KE. Eighty-three per cent of elite athletes return to preinjury sport after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a systematic review with meta-analysis of return to sport rates, graft rupture rates and performance outcomes. British journal of sports medicine. 2018;52(2):128-138.
- Mohan R, Webster KE, Johnson NR, Stuart MJ, Hewett TE, Krych AJ. Clinical Outcomes in Revision Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Meta-analysis. Arthroscopy – Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery. 2018;34(1):289-300.
- Novak AR, Bennett KJM, Fransen J, Dascombe BJ. A multidimensional approach to performance prediction in Olympic distance cross-country mountain bikers. Journal of Sports Sciences. 2018;36(1):71-78.
- Novak AR, Bennett KJM, Fransen J, Dascombe BJ. Predictors of performance in a 4-h mountain-bike race. Journal of Sports Sciences. 2018;36(4):462-468.
- Pearson EJM, Morris ME, di Stefano M, McKinstry CE. Interventions for cancer-related fatigue: a scoping review. European Journal of Cancer Care. 2018;27(1).
- van Netten JJ, Lazzarini PA, Armstrong DG, et al. Diabetic Foot Australia guideline on footwear for people with diabetes. Journal of Foot and Ankle Research. 2018;11(1).
- Wang W, Ackland DC, McClelland JA, Webster KE, Halgamuge S. Assessment of Gait Characteristics in Total Knee Arthroplasty Patients Using a Hierarchical Partial Least Squares Method. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics. 2018;22(1):205-214.
- Warby SA, Ford JJ, Hahne AJ, et al. Comparison of 2 Exercise Rehabilitation Programs for Multidirectional Instability of the Glenohumeral Joint: A Randomized Controlled Trial. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2018;46(1):87-97.
- Watson L, Balster S, Lenssen R, Hoy G, Pizzari T. The effects of a conservative rehabilitation program for multidirectional instability of the shoulder. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2018;27(1):104-111.
- Wollin M, Thorborg K, Pizzari T. Monitoring the effect of football match congestion on hamstring strength and lower limb flexibility: Potential for secondary injury prevention? Physical Therapy in Sport. 2018;29:14-18.