- Bachelor of Podiatry (Hons) at La Trobe University
- Honours degree – the effect of foot posture on muscle and tendon morphometry
- Worked two years full time in private practice before beginning a part time Research Fellow role at La Trobe University in 2014
- Began teaching into the Podiatry course at La Trobe University in 2015
- Podiatrist at In Stride Health Clinic, Ascot Vale
- Sporting experience – Caulder Cannons TAC Cup Team 2011, 2013, and 2014
Four Fun Facts
- Have been to 30 out of 50 European countries
- Pissed off ex Essendon FC coach Kevin Sheedy at the age of 8 when I asked to borrow the chair his newspaper was resting on in an inner city cafe. Am still an avid Bommers supporter…
- I own somewhere between 30 and 40 pairs of shoes…hence the interest in feet?
- If I were a beverage, I would be an espresso martini!
- Complete PhD (the FOOTPATH Study) – become a specialist in orthotic therapy and patellofemoral osteoarthritis (PF OA)
- Translation of research into clinical practice, in particular…
– helping clinicians determine when orthotic therapy is best used
– the correlation between the radiographic and clinical signs/symptoms of PF OA, and whether these can predict long term PF OA outcomes
Follow my research and clinical journey on Twitter @JadeTan03. I will be posting monthly blogs on various topics relating to foot orthoses and biomechanics via the La Trobe Sports and Exercise Medicine Research Centre blog.
Tan, J. M., Auhl, M., Menz, H. B., Levinger, P., & Munteanu, S. E. (2016). The effect of Masai Barefoot Technology (MBT) footwear on lower limb biomechanics: A systematic review. Gait & Posture, 43, 76-86.
Menz, H. B., Auhl, M., Tan, J. M., Levinger, P., Roddy, E., & Munteanu, S. E. (2015a). Biomechanical Effects of Prefabricated Foot Orthoses and Rocker-Sole Footwear in Individuals With First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Osteoarthritis. Arthritis care & research, 68(5), 603-611.
Menz, H. B., Auhl, M., Tan, J. M., Levinger, P., Roddy, E., & Munteanu, S. E. (2015b). Effectiveness of Foot Orthoses Versus Rocker-Sole Footwear for First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Osteoarthritis: Randomized Trial. Arthritis care & research, 68(5), 581-589.
Menz, H. B., Levinger, P., Tan, J. M., Auhl, M., Roddy, E., & Munteanu, S. E. (2014). Rocker-sole footwear versus prefabricated foot orthoses for the treatment of pain associated with first metatarsophalangeal joint osteoarthritis: study protocol for a randomised trial. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 15(1), 86.
Murley, G., Tan, J., Edwards, R., De Luca, J., Munteanu, S., & Cook, J. (2014). Foot posture is associated with morphometry of the peroneus longus muscle, tibialis anterior tendon, and Achilles tendon. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 24(3), 535-541.