Do you have KNEECAP PAIN? Aged 50+? FREE x-ray, Fitbit, and treatment in 2018!
A huge thank you to all our participants out there who have already volunteered for our kneecap pain research project. We are currently in the process of analysing all of our data and will let you know the results as soon as possible! However, there is still more research to be done and we need more volunteers…160 to be exact!
If you have pain around your kneecap when walking up and down stairs, or when performing sitting or squatting activities, you may be eligible to participate in a government funded clinical trial starting January 2017! The FOOTPATH STUDY is looking at the effects of footwear interventions on kneecap osteoarthritis. Kneecap arthritis is a leading cause of knee-related pain, disability, and health expenditure in the Australian community, and currently there is no cure!
This study is aiming to
- investigate the medium and long-term effects of footwear interventions on kneepain and function in people with kneecap osteoarthritis
- evaluate if footwear interventions are an acceptable treatment that can be used for people with kneecap osteoarthritis
To be eligible for involvement in this research, you need to be:
- Aged 50 years or older
- Have pain around your kneecap (pain at the front of your knee) for at least 3 months
- Had have no injections into your sore knee in the last 3 months
- Have not worn shoe inserts or orthotics in the last 3 months
What will you be asked to do?
- Attend La Trobe University Melbourne (Bundoora campus), South Coast Foot Clinic (Mount Martha, Victoria), OR The University of Queensland (St Lucia, Brisbane) for an examination of your knees to confirm your eligibility – single appointment
- Obtain a FREE x-ray of your painful knee
- Wear a specialised footwear intervention for 12 months
- Complete questionnaires about your knee pain
All participants will receive a FREE x-ray, Fitbit*, and a footwear intervention!
*to be elgible for the free Fitbit, you must have access to a smart phone with regular wifi connection
If you feel that you may be eligible to take part in this research or would like to know more, please contact Cathy (Victoria) or Liam (Queensland)
03 9479-2768 (Victoria)
07 3365-4587 (Brisbane)
UHEC No: 16-113
Chief investigator: Prof. Kay Crossley
The FOOTPATH Study is suppored by the following organisations